“Church of the Little Flower was established in 1926 at the request of a small group of Catholics in the new community of Coral Gables. The Most Reverend Patrick J. Barry, Bishop of St. Augustine, announced that the new Parish was to be named in honor of St. Theresa of Lisieux, also known at “The Little Flower”. Masses were celebrated in the convent library of St. Joseph Academy, a boarding school that the Sisters of St. Joseph had built and opened in the church grounds in 1925, while selflessly served the parish for 65 years.” From the parish website.
The parish was built in Spanish Renaissance style, typical of the architectural preferences of Henry Flagler of St. Augustine.
The nave is decorated from wall to wall with beautiful antique carvings:
Behind the original high altar is a choir loft, the back wall is actually the choir screen:
The parish is also home to precious antique German triptychs:
Detail of a monstrance depicting the four evangelists: